Stage 2: Our Lady of The Assumption Catholic Primary School – North Strathfield, Sydney
Our Lady of The Assumption Catholic Primary School is situated in North Strathfield, Sydney with over 400 students enrolled from kindergarten through to Grade 6. Built as an old concrete construction in the 1970’s, the school was converted into a creative learning hub. Our Lady of The Assumption Catholic Primary School envisioned the second phase of the expansion to provide the best possible teaching and learning experience by creating a state-of-the-art building focused on student well-being. The institute has revolutionised the design of Australian educational establishments, becoming the first of its kind to be built out of mass timber, and it has set the benchmark for future school interior and exterior designs across Australia.
Based upon the successful partnership for the execution of their Phase 1 upgrade, Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Primary School again chosen to use Versalux’s services as the lighting partner for the phase 2 development. Closely collaborating with BVN Architects and JHA Consultants, Versalux worked to provide a flexible, open and inviting learning facility to promote the school’s innovative vision, encouraging wellness and better learning outcomes for students in a visually and physiologically pleasing environment for students and teachers.
For each classroom, the INFINITI series was chosen in a suspended, continuous row layout. It formed the perfect solution for the spaces, given its elegant appearance and superb technical performance. The INFINITI luminaires are encircled by sustainable mass timber materials, which are advantageous for helping students to remain alert and concentrate, the perfect space structure to support today’s learning methods. The INFINITI luminaires provide excellent vertical illumination and superb horizontal uniformity to support the changes in young eyes as they develop over the age groups supported by the school.
The RHO series is an architecturally inspired fixture, and was employed to be enclosed in the exterior structural steel roof, the flush luminaire blending seamlessly into the outdoor play region. The RHO is extremely durable with a modern, yet timeless design, ensuring the security lighting will be reliable and trouble-free for years to come.
The PEBBLE series is a glossy acrylic pendant, a decorative centre piece used for the breakout zones of Our Lady of The Assumption Catholic Primary School. With a 3-way wire suspension system, the primary function of the luminaires is to illuminate the interior, providing a high degree of visual comfort that allows students and teachers to transition safely between rooms. The luminaire itself adds drama as an architectural component with the double-height ceilings of a modern school building to improve the atmosphere through its luxurious presence.
The PARMA series are provided as spotlights for the corridors of the Catholic Primary School on the VERSATRAC lighting track system. The PARMA luminaires embody a minimalist design in their discreet shape, yet highly flexible in their adjustability to illuminate different areas of the space. These spotlights have a highly efficient multi-faceted reflector providing the optimum level of illumination for students and staff to move between their duties throughout the day.
The Stage 2: Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Primary School project won the following fourteen awards:
1. Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) NSW Chapter The Milo Dunphy Award for Sustainable Architecture
2. Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) NSW Chapter Educational Architecture Award
3. Learning Environments (LE) Australasia Awards – Renovation/ Modernisation over $2M
4. Timber Design Awards – Multi Residential category
5. Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) – Winner Sustainability
6. Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) – Winner Institutional
7. Architecture & Design Sustainability Awards – Best Adaptive Reuse
8. Architecture & Design Sustainability Awards – Prefab & Modular
9. Architecture & Design Sustainability Awards – Education & Research High Commendation
10. Australian Timber Design Awards – Winner Public Buildings
11. Master Builders Association – Private Schools $15-$15M
12. Master Builders Association – Excellence in use of Timber
13. Australian Institute of Architects – (RAIA) The Daryl Jackson Award for Educational Architecture
14. Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) National Award for Sustainable Architecture